The Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) is a premier institution of higher learning in Ghana.
With its diverse student population and bustling campus life, KNUST offers a wealth of opportunities for personal and academic growth.
However, as with any university campus, it is important for students to be aware of potential security risks and take the necessary precautions to stay safe.
In this guide, we will provide an overview of general security precautions that freshers and continuing students at KNUST can take to ensure their safety and well-being while on campus.
01) Always lock your doors even if you will be awayf for few minutes.
02) Do not keep your door keys under door mats, flowerpots or any unsafe location.
It is better to deposit your keys at the Hall Assistants’ lodge for safe keeping.
03) Don’t entrust your valuables in the hands of people you do not know.
04) Always walk in pairs orin groups to reduce your vulnerability to attacks.
05) Avoid walking in the dark or near bushy and isolated areas whether well lit or not.
06) Do not listen to prophesies from strangers as you might be defrauded by them.
07) Avoid talking to strangers or engage them in a conversation. Direct strangers to security officers or a recognised University staff.
08) Always secure your valuables and electronic gadgets eg. jewellery, money, mobile phones, laptops, tablets, etc. before sleeping or going out.
09) Avoid isolated bus stops on and off-campus and board only KNUST campus embossed taxicabs or shuttles to reduce your vulnerability to attacks.
10) If not sure of the identity of the driver and passengers on board in commercial, ride-hailing vehicles and taxicabs, decline the service.
11) Always keep your valuables intact in your bag or wallet and hold them throughout
the journey when on board vehicles.
12) Report all crimes at the Security Offices and seek assistance from any Security
Officer near you.